Sunday, August 7, 2011

Final Reflection 6711I-2



This course has been a wonderful opportunity to review learning theories and redefine my personal theory of learning.  At the beginning of the course I stated that I used pieces of many different learning theories.  After reviewing and looking more in depth into various learning theories, this belief still holds true.  I am also aware of many more learning theories and how I use them in my classroom.  Classrooms are very fluid and constantly changing.  No one theory can be solely used and the students have success.  As a teacher I need to be able to pick and chose pieces of theories that I think will be most effective for my students in my current classroom.  I am much more aware of how technology plays an important role in learning and how supplemental technology can be.  I feel that technology is becoming a major tool in assisting with all the learning theories.  I feel more capable and competent at using technology to support my instructional and learning strategies. 

I desire to use technology more as a learning tool than an instructional tool.  I want to truly engage and involve all students and make my classroom more student centered.  I think that children even as young as second grade can play a greater role in their education and truly make learning meaningful.  I enjoyed the concept mapping web tools and am excited to use this in my classroom.  I see a lot of potential with this resource and feel that it would really benefit my students.  I also extremely enjoyed Voice Thread and desire to use this tool often.  I will have to work to figure out how to get microphone access for the students and how to teach and manage use of the program.  I think it could really work well in involving students and reach both visual and auditory learners in a very impactful way.  I had never used a concept mapping web tool and I had never even heard of Voice Thread.  I now feel very capable and ready to use these tools in my classroom.

I want to start using technology within each theme that I teach.  I have access to so many technology tools at my school site and I feel that I have just barely begun to scratch the surface with how these tools can be used.  I use them for the most basic of activities.  I feel much more aware of available resources and prepared to use them.  I would like to incorporate concept mapping into each theme that I teach and use these maps as teaching tools and review resources.  To meet this goal, I will make an outline of each theme and chose a story, virtual field trip, or activity where concept mapping would be most effective.  I will start using concept mapping from the beginning of the school year and model how to use this tool.  As the year progresses, I will continue to lead and model but allow the students more involvement and opportunity to use the concept mapping tool individually.  By the last trimester, I hope that the students can be competent enough to create concept maps on their own with little difficulty.

Another goal I have is to use a class blog as a resource for both students and parents.  I would like to incorporate homework activities into the blog and allow students to learn and interact from home.  I want the blog to be exciting and engaging for students and their families.  I feel that the blog can really help make homework more meaningful and add so much depth to the level of learning.  I have decided that every Tuesday afternoon will be set aside to update the blog and add an assignment, lesson, or experience that supports the lessons being taught in the classroom.  By the following Monday students will be expected to have visited the blog and participated in the post.  If the students do not have access to a computer at home, then the blog can be accessed during technology lab time, at recess, or during free choice time in the classroom.  I am excited to interact and be involved with the students and their families.

I have enjoyed learning and experiencing these technology resources.  I feel more confident in myself and my ability to use these tools.  I used to be the learner that would be in awe of technology being used and think how I wish I could create and use such neat resources.  I now feel that I have the skills and ability to create and use awesome technology resources.  

No comments:

Post a Comment