Wednesday, January 18, 2012

RESOURCES-Carrying Out My GAME Plan WEEK 3


My GAME plan has been established and now I need to decide which resources I will need to be successful in carrying out my GAME plan.   In the text by Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) the teacher is reminded how important it is to set goals for students and allow them to obtain the necessary skills and knowledge required by the curricula and standards.

One resource that will be needed is access to computers for my students.  Students need to be able to use the computers and access the Internet and other software.  The computers need to be in working condition.  Headphones and microphones need to be working to allow for audio and recordings.   As the teacher, I need access to the computer to run a class website, email parents, and manage a class blog.  I will need a camera to take pictures that can be used on the website or blog.  

Second, I will need to create a list of websites and obtain software that will allow my students to learn and use the computer to meet individual needs.  One website I am eager to utilize more is Discovery Education.  My school has had many trainings and I am excited to apply what I have learned into my curriculum.  There are so many possibilities with this website that can allow for differentiation for all students and learning styles. 

Last, I will need to teach the students and parents how to use the technology.  Students are familiar with technology and know the basics.  I will have to teach expectations, requirements, and instructions for all the individual activities.  A rubric will be created to help guide students and help them achieve success.  The parents will need to learn how to use and access the website and blog.  They will need to learn how to comment and interact using technology.  Once the benefits are explained, the parents and students will hopefully be eager and anxious to use and access the resources. 

Once I implement these resources into my classroom, continual monitoring and reflection will need to occur to make sure the tools are effective and meaningful.  Regular updates and reminders will need to be given to students and parents to keep them involved and interested.  Projects and activities will be monitored and assessed to make sure the students are on task and learning.  I am anxious to learn about other resources and websites.  Please share with me any suggestions or ideas on how I can diversify and keep both parents and students engaged.

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

10 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Getting parents involved is an important step when using technology in the classroom. Moreover, taking a further step towards teaching parents how to use some of these tools will assist them greatly because many of them lack the technological skills to access their child’s grade or report online. I suggest that one evening you can meet with parents and conduct a demo of how to use the tools that you are going to integrate and as well as to the tools they are expected to use. They would appreciate the opportunity to learn by doing and perhaps be more inclined to use them at home.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia,

      That is a great idea of getting the parents to come in and do a demo. The only problem I have with this method is the fact that most of the parents, that really need the help, usually do not come.

      Patrice

      Delete
  2. Hi Kerri,

    Nice post. So often, we are bugged down with the details of software and not realizing that the hardware is just as important. Students’ access outside of class will also play a vital role. I note you plan to teach parents how to use technology, and I think that is a great idea. The students are usually the ones who are teaching the parents, and any help we can get from home in assisting the children, is more than welcome. You could try creating videos for use of the computer and email to parents. Share any thoughts you have because I would love to be able to teach the parents a few things on the computer, which would make my life far easier.

    Patrice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have done parent night for other subjects and issues but never for technology. With the right approach and method, a lot of parents attend these evening events and the results are good. It is true that many times those parents who need the help don't come, but it is still worth it to me. I love receiving emails about my sons progress and assignments. It really helps his grades because he knows that I will be aware of everything he does or doesn't do. I think that one great idea would be to create a tutorial video with my students on how to use the technology resources such as the class website and blog. I can then post this video to the website and blog and offer an incentive to the students such as a homework pass or ticket if they watch the video with their parents. I would ask the parents to email me a note stating that they viewed the tutorial. This might be more convenient for parents and would be a fun project for the students also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerri,
    Great GAME plan. I have found that including parents in the infusion of technology is a great way to have everyone on board with any project. Most of the time, parents are not skilled in the technology that we want their children to utilize. In my Open House, I actually have parents have to log on to a laptop computer using the directions that I have listed on the Smart Board, and they have to complete a quick survey by accessing the link I provide. You would be amazed on how many parents have difficulty and need step by step instructions with this task, even though they more than likely use a computer each day. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet it is a shock at how limited parents are. I think some of them are embarrassed that they know so little so they avoid technology and opportunities to learn more. Thanks for the positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerri,

    You have your plan well developed. I wish my school is as technological advance as yours. How did your school become this way? How long has it been that way? What type of tools are you using in your classroom...in your colleagues classrooms?

    As far as including parents, maybe your school can invest in an all call system where text messages go out to parents to inform them of a parent's night at school.

    Jennifer Potter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got an all call system this year and it has been great. The school is fairly new, about five years old, and when it was built, it was fully wired and stocked with the best technology. We were a pilot school so the company provided us with a lot of extras and would regularly bring other potential clients to view what we could do with the technology. This helped us get more for less and has been a big advantage for us. We have Mimio interactive boards, dance mats, touch screens, projectors, responders, and computers in every classroom. It sure opens up a lot of opportunities. It also helped that we received adequate training on how to use the technology effectively. Good luck and sooner or later your school will catch up with technology.

      Delete
  7. You have an excellent plan! I currently have a website that I post our weekly newsletter to each week. The parents are responsible for accessing this information to learn about updates, homework, etc. This is a great way to save our environment without having to take the time photocopying each week. I do suggest to make sure that your students are familiar with accessing your website at home because I find that many parents drop the ball and never look up the needed information for their child's homework assignments. I have since trained my first graders how to do this at home and I have had much greater success. Good luck! I am sure you will enjoy having the website as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A parent news letter weekly is a good idea. I wonder if all the parents are faithful about reading it. I like how you are environmentally aware.

      Delete