Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Constructivism in Practice


The constructivist and constructionist theories are so important in developing a positive and impactful learning environment.  In a classroom where these theories are applied students get to apply the knowledge they have acquired and create, build, and demonstrate what they have learned.  Dr. Michael Orey (Laureate Education, Inc., 2008) explains why these theories of learning are so important to the educational experience of the student.  Students perform and actually use the knowledge they have learned.  Learning becomes more meaningful as it becomes something the students use and experience.  Students create and demonstrate their understanding of lessons being taught.

Technology provides a whole new world where creations and projects can be designed and presented.  There are numerous websites and programs available to students and teachers that can be used to help enhance learning.  Technology is nothing new to students in this generation and using technology to demonstrate knowledge is a wonderful tool to enhance learning.  Students in second grade can create Power Points, blogs, wikis, and more to truly experience and construct their ideas.  Rather than just reading about fossils and dinosaurs, students can create Power Points demonstrating how fossils are formed and what characteristics dinosaurs possess. Spreadsheets and data collection websites may not be too meaningful to second graders, but with teacher guidance, students can begin to learn how to use these resources along with other technology tools.  Technology allows students to show their individuality and their abilities.  There are very few limits on what can be done or designed.  I am sure that many of my young students could create presentations beyond my own abilities. 

The constructivist and constructionist theories allow students to demonstrate and form student's learning experiences.  Actually being able to apply gained knowledge is the whole purpose of schooling and education.  We live in a time where technology is allowing a whole new world of educational experiences and opportunities.  Limitations are few and given the right guidance, students will be able to construct some amazing things.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2008). Constructionist and Constructivist Learning Theories. Baltimore: Author. 

5 comments:

  1. Kerri,

    Dr. Orey and you bring many valid points that bring a student from a good student to one that is a high achieving learner. You also bring forward a word that I comes to mind all too often and that is, "overwhelming." This word frightens me as an adult and tugs my heart when I think in terms of my kiddos.

    During my time as a student, many years ago I considered myself active. I attended classes regularly, participated in several sports and extracurricular activities, but I don't remember thinking in terms of feeling "overwhelmed." I do remember being busy, but that was a good thing. It is my opinion that times have changed and they are 'a changin'.

    Many student's are active members partaking in activities that I mentioned were a part of my school history, but in addition, they now have the social and gaming aspect (cell phone, computer) that can consume so much time that should be allocated to education.

    As you mention the dreaded projects and lack of parental guidance and support. When assigning homework I try and take into account what my students have actively going on in their home. I assign homework early in the week with a Thursday due date, but homework may be turned in throughout the week as they wish. This plan was developed two fold, partly due to my child's rigid homework"ework schedule and partly due to the "overwhelming" responsibilities many of my students have.

    "Homework At Your Pace" has been largely successful as the student / guardian population remain accountable for their ongoing practice at home. Also, without the rigidity the student can work at their own pace so if they have church and / or ball practice on a night during the week they can map out their pace for completion. This is one way to help me, my student's, and their parent's / guardian's feel a little less "overwhelmed" for better overall success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerri,
    I could not agree more with your assessment on the constructivist learning theory. I feel that students become so much more personally involved in their learning if they have to take ownership of it. If students are responsible for creating an artifact of what they have learned, it is much more personalized and students will retain more. It also offers an outlet for students to express their creative side. In the activities that I have done with my students where "hands on" learning is the focal point, I am always pleasantly surprised on how much pride and effort students put in to their work.

    Technology provides an avenue for both students and teachers to develop meaningful and creative learning experiences. There are so many options extended to teachers and students to utilize that sometimes it can become overwhelming to select the most appropriate technological activity. Being a bit "old school" as a teacher, I utilize technology often but I still incorporate constructivist learning activities that students have to use scissors, glue, or even draw their own picture to show understanding. In any event, technology opens up greater opportunities for students to truly have a "hands on" approach to their learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerri,
    I enjoyed reading your post and agree with your thoughts. Technology has created a positive environment for me. The students are able to express themselves using some very neat tools.

    I have to share a story about last school year. One of our teachers wanted to try different ways to teach the material to the students. Every week, the students were to complete a project to demonstrate knowledge. After a few weeks, I saw nothing but posters being created. I could not believe that students were not creating powerpoints, online magazines, online posters, etc. I went and talked to the teacher and she was totally unaware of all the free tools available on the Internet. She was very excited and shared some of these with her students. The outcome was a success. This is definitely not meant to be disrespectful to the teacher, but just the point that sometimes the teachers and students are not aware of all the possibilities. I like your last sentence that states that students will be able to construct some amazing things. Very true!!!!

    Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris-
    I to am a bit "old school." I love the paper and glue projects. One reason I prefer primary grades. A balance of all resources is important.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelley-
    Like your colleague, it is easy to stick with what you know and what is easy. I love this program because it is making me try new things and not just use what I am comfortable with. Once exposed to all the possibilities and resources available, it is easy to incorporate other ideas and projects. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete